The formal statutes of BIAPWS can be downloaded here. The statutes include our Terms of Reference and our Constitution and Rules.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The British and Irish Association for the Properties of Water and Steam (BIAPWS) exists -
- to be the National Committee representing the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland of the International Association for the Properties of Water and Steam (IAPWS)
- to advance knowledge of the properties of water, steam and aqueous systems, particularly those of interest to industry, and
- to make such knowledge generally available to engineers and scientists, and
- to act as a representative body on behalf of the power plant chemistry community in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland
AND, to these ends,
- to encourage, stimulate and co-ordinate new research and its analysis,
- to participate in the preparation and international standardisation of statements of the properties of water, steam and aqueous systems, for industrial applications and for scientific and general use, AND
- to co-operate with appropriate national and international bodies.
CONSTITUTION AND RULES
- BIAPWS is constituted as a “Not for Profit” organisation.
- BIAPWS shall not engage in the commercial activities of its Industrial Sponsors or any other individual Company. As such:
- BIAPWS shall operate by unanimity and shall not engage in any activity that could lead to an agreement, understanding or exchange of information that would prevent, restrict or distort competition
- BIAPWS may act as a representative body for an industry sector of relevance to BIAPWS as defined in the Terms of Reference, but BIAPWS shall not act on behalf of any specific Company or Companies.
- BIAPWS is funded by annual subscription from its Industrial Sponsors. BIAPWS funds are used:
- to pay the annual dues to the IAPWS;
- to effect such committee meetings as are required to conduct BIAPWS business;
- to pay the expenses of up to two delegates to the annual meeting of IAPWS;
- to effect the organisation of occasional technical symposia and, in rotation with other IAPWS members, the annual meeting of IAPWS and the International Conference on the Properties of Water and Steam (ICPWS);
- to effect the participation of BIAPWS in activities that further the aims and objectives of BIAPWS, as defined in the Terms of Reference, following approval by the BIAPWS Committee.
- Membership of BIAPWS shall be subject to the approval of the BIAPWS Committee and shall comprise:
- a. Nominated representatives of the sponsoring bodies. Such persons are known as Sponsoring Members and shall be identified as such in the list of members.
- b. Representatives of institutions, societies, research establishments or other organisations with an interest in the properties of water, steam and aqueous systems. Such persons are known as Representative Members and shall be identified as such in the list of members.
- c. Persons who, in the opinion of BIAPWS, are worthy of recognition for their significant contribution to the achievements and aims of BIAPWS over an extended period. Such persons are known as Honorary Members, are elected to this membership category by the BIAPWS Committee, and shall be identified as such in the list of members.
- d. Other persons who, in the opinion of BIAPWS, would actively help in the furtherance of its objectives. Such persons are known as Ordinary Members and shall be identified as such in the list of members.
- e. Persons or representatives of organisations who have an interest in the properties of water, steam and aqueous systems but do not seek regular participation in the BIAPWS Committee. Such persons are known as Corresponding Members and shall be identified as such in the list of members.
- Each body under 4[a] and 4[b] shall have one representative who shall be appointed or re-appointed annually. Each such representative shall be entitled to one vote on matters concerning the administration or organisation of BIAPWS. Each person identified under 4[c] and 4[d] and who is active on the BIAPWS Committee shall be entitled to one vote on matters concerning the administration or organisation of BIAPWS. Any motion which requires such resolution (with the exception of proposed amendments to these Terms of Reference, Constitution and Rules, which are approved in accordance with Rule 13) will be approved if supported by a majority of the total voting membership of BIAPWS or, at the discretion of the Chair, by the majority of voting membership in attendance at a BIAPWS Committee meeting, subject to a minimum attendance of 40% of the total voting membership. The organisations represented may at any time change their representatives by informing the Secretary, in writing, of their proposals. Substitutes may attend meetings and vote on behalf of their organisation by permission of the BIAPWS Committee. The BIAPWS Secretary shall maintain a register of BIAPWS members, which shall identify those eligible to vote on BIAPWS matters.
- The BIAPWS Committee may, from time to time, invite persons to attend meetings for a specific purpose, but such persons shall not have the right to vote.
- The BIAPWS Committee shall comprise the total voting membership of BIAPWS, as defined in Rule 4 above. BIAPWS shall operate by holding meetings as a full Committee and by delegation, if thought desirable, of certain tasks to sub-committees.
- Full Committee Meetings of BIAPWS shall aim to be held three times per year.
Agendas will be circulated prior to the meeting, and minutes will be produced, circulated and put forward for approval at the next Committee meeting. Actions raised will be recorded with the minutes and reviewed at subsequent Committee meetings until closure.
- A report on the activities of BIAPWS together with scrutinised accounts of the Committee's finances shall be prepared annually and submitted to the sponsoring bodies, IAPWS and other interested parties.
- At the first meeting of BIAPWS in each alternate year, a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Scrutineer shall be elected. The retiring Chair and Vice-Chair shall be eligible for re-election for a second period of office. A Chair or Vice-Chair who has served four consecutive years in that office may not be re-appointed to the same office until a further two years has elapsed. Candidates for Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary shall be eligible voting BIAPWS members in accordance with Rule 5.
- a. Prior to each Executive Committee of IAPWS, BIAPWS shall appoint the Association’s Delegation and shall nominate one member thereof to be Head of Delegation.
- b. Prior to a meeting of the Executive Committee of IAPWS, the Association shall appoint one of its members as the BIAPWS Deputy to that meeting.
- c. Neither the Head of Delegation to an Executive Committee of IAPWS, nor the Deputy to the Executive Committee need be the Chair or the Vice-Chair of BIAPWS.
- The BIAPWS committee may approve the disbursement of a proportion of its funds with the aims of raising awareness of and generating new interest in the areas of science and technology of relevance to BIAPWS, for example the properties of water and steam, aqueous chemistry and power plant chemistry.
- BIAPWS may amend its Terms of Reference, Constitution and Rules provided that three months notice of the proposed amendments is given to all members and that approval of the amendments is given by two-thirds of the total voting membership of BIAPWS. A postal ballot (or by e-mail) may be conducted for this purpose.